repeat as district champions
By BARRY BURLESON
by Barry Burleson
Showing off their trophies are (front, from left) Shaud Brown,
James Echols, Datron Johnson, Emanuel Coleman: (second row) Brandon
Thomas, Demetri Oliver, Desley Brown, Cordell Stephens, Darryl
Kinkle, Elijah Thigpen, Marcell Johnson. In back is coach Clifford
Brown. Not pictured are Justin Crumb, Jamal Porter, Kendrick Duncan,
Marvin Lucas, Courtney Bowen, Darvin Nolan and Trayven Howell.
The Holly Springs High School boys
won their second straight Division 3-3A track championship this month
“Being two-time district
champs is a tribute to these kids,” coach Clifford Brown said.
“We’re running really good right now.”
The Hawks totaled 169 points in taking
the first-place gold. Finishing second was Water Valley with 141 points.
Marks Palmer was third with 114.
Individual results from the divison
- Boys 100 Meter Dash - Emanuel Coleman, first, 11.47; Darryl Kinkle,
- Boys 200 Meter Dash - Justin Crumb, first, 23.73; Darryl Kinkle,
- Boys 400 Meter Dash - Justin Crumb, third, 52.75; Brandon Thomas,
- Boys 800 Meter Run - Desley Brown, first, 2:10; Darvis Nolan, third,
- Boys 1600 Meter Run - James Echols, second, 5:17.
- Boys 110 Meter Hurdles - Emanuel Coleman, first, 16.39; Datron
Johnson, second, 18.09.
- Boys 300 Meter Hurdles - Elijah Thigpen, second, 45.17.
- Boys 4x100 Meter Relay - James Johnson, Darryl Kinkle, Elijah Thigpen,
Emanuel Coleman, third, 45.63.
- Boys 4x200 Meter Relay - James Johnson, Elijah Thigpen, Darryl
Kinkle, Courtney Bowen, fourth, 1:36.27.
- Boys 4x400 Meter Relay, Desley Brown, Elijah Thigpen, Jamal Porter,
Justin Crumb, first, 3:40.
- Boys High Jump - Brandon Thomas, second, 6-00.
- Boys Long Jump - James Johnson, first, 19-03.
- Boys Triple Jump - Jamal Porter, third, 38-11.
- Boys Shot Put - James Johnson, first, 44-04.50; Cordell Stephens,
- Boys Discus - Cordell Stephens, second, 116-04; Kendrick Duncan,
Two Holly High Lady Hawks also did well
in the Division 3-3A meet at Charleston, Coach Brown said.
Kierra Mayfield placed second in
the 100 meter dash (13.10), first in the 200 meter dash (27.26) and
third in the 400 meter dash (1:03.64).
Carressa Walton placed fourth in the
shot put (28-04).
Holly High then competed in the Region
2-3A meet this past Saturday in Charleston.
The boys finished fourth with 71 points
and the girls eighth with 18 pooints.
Individual results follow.
- Boys 400 Meter Dash - Justin Crumb, fourth, 52.17.
- Boys 800 Meter Dash - Desley Brown, second, 2:11.30.
- Boys 110 Meter Hurdles - Emanuel Coleman, second, 16.60.
- Boys 4x200 Meter Relay - Justin Crumb, James Johnson, Darryl Kinkle,
Brandon Thomas, 1:33.26.
- Boys High Jump - Brandon Thomas, third, 6-00.
- Boys Long Jump - James Johnson, third, 20-00.50.
- Boys Shot Put - James Johnson, second, 46-02; Cordell Stephens,
- Boys Discus - Cordell Stephens, second, 137-09.
- Girls 200 Meter Dash - Kierra Mayfield, second, 27.49.
- Girls 400 Meter Dash - Kierra Mayfield, third, 1:04.10.
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
| Top of Page