By Linda Jones
My youngest granddaughter made her New
Year’s resolutions in Sunday School and then read them aloud during
Children’s Moment to the entire congregation (along with the rest
of the kids). She whispered frantically for a few minutes with her Sunday
School teacher, who agreed it was okay to leave No. 4 out -- “Have
a New Year’s Party if we ever get home from church!”
No. 1 was get “strait A’s”
-- I hope Mrs. Smith is not reading this! Then we had the usual “get
to school on time” (Gremlin takes after her mother -- time is
not a factor in their lives). Get to bed on time was a good one also.
Grem never wants to go to bed on a school night.
No. 5 was my favorite: “Do not
get a cold!!!” She spent one entire school year sick with strep
throat several times, scarlet fever, mono and pneumonia. She doesn’t
care much for being sick nowadays.
I don’t make resolutions anymore.
Not only do I not keep them, I can’t remember what I resolved
to do or not do anymore. So...
I did get a laugh out of most of the
following that went around the email circuit last week.
- Youth is when you’re allowed to stay up late on New Year’s
Eve. Middle age is when you’re forced to. - Bill Vaughn
- Many people look forward to the new year for a new start on old
habits. - Anonymous
- Never tell your resolution beforehand, or it’s twice as
onerous a duty. - John Selden
- An optimist stays up until midnight to see the new year in. A
pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves. - Bill Vaughn
- A New Year’s resolution is something that goes in one year
and out the other. - Anonymous
- The proper behavior all through the holiday season is to be drunk.
This drunkenness culminates on New Year’s Eve, when you get
so drunk you kiss the person you’re married to. - P.J. O’Ro-urke
- Now, there are more overweight people in America than average-weight
people. So overweight people are now average. Which means you’ve
met your last year’s New Year resolution. - Jay Leno
- Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors,
and let each new year find you a better man. - Benjamin Franklin
- Year’s end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going
on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us. - Hal
- Ring out the old, ring in the new, Ring, happy bells, across
the snow: The year is going, let him go; Ring out the false, ring
in the true. - Lord Tennyson
- New Year’s Day: Now is the accepted time to make your regular
annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with
them as usual. - Mark Twain
A man after my own heart!
News: (662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, comments, corrections: email@example.com
The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.
Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter
| Top of Page