Thursday, November 30, 2006
Welcome home Frances “Bunk” Buchanan; Alice Buchanan visits here
Lester Goldsmith and his wife, Beth Gooch, were so excited about the new home they are building in Barton that they had an “empty house party” to let all their friends see where they’re going to live. About 75 people visited during the day-long open house, including many of their new Barton neighbors.
Robin Hampe of Fresco, Texas was the guest of her dad, Robert Lane, for the Thanksgiving holidays. Robert, of Wichita Falls, Texas, was spending a few weeks at the Lane home in Waterford.
As captain of the varsity cheerleader squad at Marshall Academy, senior Ashley Forester, daughter of John and Judy Forester, was invited to participate with the Universal Cheerleaders Association cheerleaders in the Macy’s Parade. She had a blast! The cheerleaders practiced a lot, did some shopping, went to the top of the Empire State Building, saw “Tarzan” on Broadway, and of course, performed in the parade. They saw lots of stars as they lined up for the parade. Ashley even made the New York Times newspaper in a picture where they performed at the introduction of the new, healthier Mr. Potato Head. After the year she has had recovering from her auto accident in January, it was wonderful to see her so happy.
John and Judy accompanied her to New York and had a wonderful trip. Ashley went with them to see the Statue of Liberty, the Rockette’s Christmas Spectacular and “Wicked.” John and Judy also went to “Phantom of the Opera” and “A Chorus Line,” the World Trade Center Tribute Center and Walking Tour, which is operated by people who lost family members in the tragedy. They also went to The Today Show and a taping of David Letterman. They lined up at 5:30 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day to get a front row view of the parade. It was 34 degrees and raining, but it was something they had always wanted to do and to have Ashley participating made it even more special!
Vicki and Walter Webb returned Sunday from a wonderful trip to Birmingham, Ala., where they visited Patrick and Mary Glen Carlton.
Mr. and Mrs. Ferrell Moore of Holly Springs celebrated Thanksgiving with a house full of family! Everyone enjoyed lots of good food and spent the rest of the day visiting and catching up on all the family gossip. Guests were Karen and Mike Holley of Hernando, Gracie and Pat Woods, Jessica Woods, Kevin and Lane Hughes and Philip Woods all of Byhalia, Patrick and J.P. Woods of Jackson, Teresa Clarkson of Olive Branch, Jesse and Rachel Coop of Barton and Dustin and Cayden Clarkson of Potts Camp.
Charlie, Jane, Frannie and Buddy Farris just returned from Washington, DC. They spent Thursday in Baltimore, MD, on the harbor. Everyone had a wonderful time!
David Akins of New York City visited his father, Billy Akins, at Christopher’s last week. On Thursday night, November 16, he met up at JB’s Restaurant with some of his cousins and had dinner. Those attending were Milton Bell, Christina Gray, Roy Cook, Eleanor Algee, Jerry and Betty Scott and Amanda and McKenzie Garner. A wonderful time was had by all.
Wanda and Lois Boyd visited Tommy Boyd and family, in Alexandria Va., during the Thanksgiving holidays. They enjoyed a tour of Washington, D.C. including the Vietnam Memorial Wall. Tommy is the son of the late Pete Boyd who lived in Holly Springs prior to his appointment to the Naval Academy.
Dr. Alice Buchanan of Auburn, Al., was the holiday guest of her mother, Frances Buchanan, last week.
Welcome back to “Bunk,” who has just returned from a brief stay at Baptist DeSoto Hospital in Southaven. Glad you are home and well!
Amy Read of Houston, Texas is here visiting with her mother, Barbara Read. Barbara spent Thanksgiving with her youngest daughter, Julie, and her husband Bill in Olive Branch.
(To put your news in City Personals, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; mail to City Personals, The South Reporter, P.O. Box 278, Holly Springs, MS 38635 or call 662-252-4261. You may also e-mail your City Personal news to email@example.com).
Miss Mollie Fant and Billy Kinard to wed December 16 at First Baptist Church
Mr. and Mrs. Joe Fant of Holly Springs announce the engagement of their daughter, Mollie Jo, to Billy Mack Kinard, son of Mrs. Janet Goforth and Mr. Greg Kinard of Collinsville.
Miss Fant is the granddaughter of the late Mrs. John W. Taylor Sr. and the late Sol C. Cox and Mrs. W.R. Fant Sr. and the late Mr. Fant, all of Holly Springs.
She was graduated from Marshall Academy and from Mississippi State University where she obtained a B.S. in horticulture with an emphasis in retail floristry management. At MSU, she was a member of the rodeo team, block and bridle club and was a dean’s list scholar. Currently, she is employed by the Van Group Gift Company as their Mississippi territory sales manager. Mr. Kinard is the grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Connie Mack Smith of Collinsville and Mr. Billy Kinard and the late Mrs. Beatrice Kinard of Meridian.
He graduated from West Lauderdale in Collinsville and from the University of West Alabama where he obtained a bachelor’s degree in business administration. At UWA, he was a member of the rodeo team, a College National Finals Rodeo qualifier and a dean’s list scholar. Presently he is employed by C-Cross Trucking as a load coordinator and safety director.
The wedding will take place at 5:30 on the evening of Dec. 16 at First Baptist Church Holly Springs. After a honeymoon to St. Lucia the couple will reside in Shubuta.
Christmas in Holly Springs - tour of homes and concerts
“Christmas in Holly Springs” is a tour of beautiful, elegant houses, which will be dressed in holiday splendor enticing visitors to be our guests at the 18th annual celebration on December 2 (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) and December 3 (1 p.m. to 5 p.m.).
The public is cordially invited to attend this wonderful tour of six homes and to enjoy two Christmas cantatas to be presented each afternoon at 2 p.m.
At St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, on Saturday, the Holly Springs High School choir, under the direction of Barbara Anderson, will be enjoyed. Also at St. Joseph’s Church, on Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m., the Marshall Academy Patriot Performers, with Chris Mirante as leader, will be enjoyed.
There will be five houses and two Square apartments to visit and enjoy. The houses range in age from 1838, Holly Springs’ oldest mansion to the 1910 Frank Lloyd Wright type house.
Latoka is the home of C.E. and Eugenia Messick. It has a brick exterior and the walls inside are brick also. It is built like a fortress and the thresholds are worn down from the many footsteps that have walked there.
Latoka was built in 1839 by W.S. Randolph, one of the town’s founders, during the pre-Civil War boom years, when Greek Revival influence in Holly Springs is most conspicuous. Notable of Latoka’s features that pronounce her kinship with the larger, more illustrious examples of Greek Revival architecture are the brick pilasters, the entrance framed by sidelights and transom and segmental arches over windows.
Latoka was named for an Indian princess who lived in this area before Holly Springs was founded. The house has undergone restoration and redecoration and the beautiful antique furniture is appropriate to the period in which the home was built.
This little, palatial house has gone through a lot of history. If it could only speak, it could tell tales of antebellum Holly Springs, of Confederates in gray, of General U.S. Grant’s army marching by, or the pestiferous Yellow Fever of 1878.
Latoka was once owned by Mrs. Shep Smith Sr., grandmother of Shep Smith III, Fox News anchor.
The Warwick: In 1910 something new came to Holly Springs. Captain George Buchanan ordered from the far away land of California a pre-fab house in the style of Frank Lloyd Wright, outstanding architect of America at that time. The house came by railroad and was like a puzzle, ready to be put together. It had a basement furnace, inside plumbing, electrical fixtures, all ultra modern for Holly Springs. The grandson of Captain Buchanan, Jim Buchanan and his family lived here and Jim was the town mayor of Holly Springs. The next owners were Edwin and Ann Callicutt. Now it is the home of newcomers Danny and Suzanne Campbell of Oxford.
Hamilton Place: The house originally was three stories and had six massive Greek revival columns across the front. Don’t you know that was impressive? Memphis Street was the corridor leading to the house that sat across the end of the street. In 1928 it was struck by lightning and only the first floor was saved.
For a long while one of the columns was in the yard but years of sweet honeysuckle vines and weeds have eaten it up. This beautiful front porch was the one where Moria Mason sat and watched Grant’s army march in front of her house and turn eastward to the Waterford Road (Center Street). She commented that she was looking for General Grant but never saw him. She wrote of how well dressed these soldiers were compared to the Confederates, who were raggedy and some were even barefoot.
Mrs. Mason was also sitting on this porch in 1878 and wrote of the black clouds of mosquitoes swarming over the town. She didn’t know it then but that was what was causing the Yellow Fever.
The house was given to Bethlehem Academy, a Catholic school for girls that Colonel Walter had started for the daughters of the Irish workers who came here to work on the railroad.
The house is now owned by Mr. and Mrs. Bobby Clanton.
Finley House was built in 1857 by Rufus Jones. During the War Between the States, General U.S. Grant’s personal physician and medical staff stayed here. The architect of the house was Spires Bolling, whose trademark was the octagonal columns on the house. The house is built in the Greek revival style but the inside is in the Federal design. The rear of the house is graced by a two-story solarium.
The house has been given to the Audubon Society and is the home of the Audubon director, Madge Lindsay.
Montrose, with beautiful Greek revival architecture, was built in 1858 by Alfred Brooks as a wedding gift for his daughter, Margaret, when she married Robert McGowan. The young couple didn’t live here long because after the war, Margaret died after the birth of her fifth child and the house was sold to Judge James T. Fant.
Dr. Robert H. Peel, his wife and daughter were the next owners. Dr. Peel had been a war hero. In the first battle of the war, Manassas, in Virginia, Dr. Peel was a surgeon of the 19th Mississippi Regiment and he operated on wounded Confederates and Federals in the old stone house on the battlefield.
In his efforts to soothe and encourage the wounded, one of the Federal officers exclaimed, “My God, why are we fighting such men as this?”
Montrose: When I was growing up in Holly Springs in the 1930s, Dr. Peel’s daughter, Mamie Crawford, lived in Montrose in its crumpled splendor. When her granddaughter would visit from the state of Washington, Mrs. Crawford would invite the local girls to meet her. I remember when she had a birthday party there and I thought the house was really old!
In 1938, Minnie Wooten Johnson, widow of Jackson Johnson bought the house and restored it to its former grandeur, plus a little. She embellished its magnificence by adding wings on each side. At her death, she willed the house to the Holly Springs Garden Club completely furnished, even down to the soap in the soap dishes.
In 1981, the Montrose Arboretum was designated as the site of the Mississippi Statewide Arboretum. Fifty different specimens of native trees are labeled with common and botanical names in the yard. Montrose has been the setting of several Hollywood movies, “Cookie’s Fortune,” “Heart of Dixie,” and “Third of July.”
Court Square Apartments: Among the treasures on the tour are the Court Square Apartments, overlooking Holly Springs’ historic Court Square.
Tim and Lisa Liddy bought the building, located at the corner of College Avenue and Market Street in 2003, and are undertaking a multi-phase restoration and rehabilitation project.
This High Victorian Italianate structure has housed a furniture and undertaking business, a cotton brokerage firm, and over 80 years of drug stores.
The apartments were designed to utilize the locations of the original windows and doors that opened onto the upper floor gallery. The original balcony had been previously removed and some doorways had been enclosed.
A new covered balcony has been built to access the apartments. The front facade has also been rebuilt with a restored parapet and storefront.
New, 11-foot tall doors are being built to replicate the original doors, which were found in the basement.
(662) 252-4261 or firstname.lastname@example.org
managed and maintained by