Thursday, January 19, 2006

Carey Chapel & Mt. Pleasant News
Allene Teel

Carey Chapel Baptist honors teachers

Carey Chapel Baptist Church will honor their teachers with a banquet on Sunday, January 21, at 5 p.m.

Richard Langston is home from the hospital. Continue to pray for Richard and his family. He now has hospice care.

Jimmy Bell had surgery at the VA Hospital last week. He is now home but will return later for more surgery.

Mike Buckler is a patient at Baptist Hospital East awaiting surgery.

Billy McClure had back surgery at St. Francis Hospital several weeks ago but must return for more surgery this week.

Melba Langner is a patient at Baptist Hospital, Collierville.

A get well wish is sent to all of these.

My daughter, Madge Winburn, from Hickory Flat, visited me Monday afternoon. We visited Campbell’s grave at Carey Chapel Cemetery.

My daughter, Martha Fant, visited me on Saturday. She brought her Christmas gift, a metal detector. There is a Teel family story, handed down from generation to generation, that there is a treasure buried on the Teel farm. The story has been told that in the 1800s, during the Civil War, that a family member buried his money to protect it from the Yankees. My children, along with many of their cousins, spent much time as children looking for the treasure.

So, after lunch Martha and I decided to try our hand at digging. Sorry to say we didn’t find the treasure. The only things we dug up were old jar tops, nails, bottle caps, cans and different kinds of old metal. We didn’t find any money, not even a penny. But, we did have a good time.

William Walker, a friend of Morris Jowers, from Jackson, called him and asked that Mr. Jowers call me and tell me how much he enjoys my column in the South Reporter. Mr. Walker, finished school at Slayden. He requests to be put on the prayer lists of our local churches. He is scheduled to enter the hospital for heart surgery. Mr. Walker we will be praying for your strength and a speedy recovery. 

I Remember

As a girl growing up in the ’30s we didn’t have an indoor bathroom. We had to do our bathing in a # 3 zinc washtub. To top it off the whole family had to take a bath in the same water, one after another. The old bathtub wasn’t meant for relaxing. There was no stretching out. We got a bath whether we were in agreement or not.

The bath water was drawn from the well with a rope and a bucket. It took a long time to fill the tub almost full of water. In the summer time the water was set behind the well-house in the sun to warm.

Sometimes I would sneak and take my bath first in the clean water. Good smelling soap and bath oil were unheard of. We used home-made soap or P and G soap. We weren’t too choosy on our soaps, because there were few choices. Usually we only took a tub bath on Saturday. The rest of the week we took a pan bath. I remember slipping to bed on many nights without washing my feet after having gone barefoot all day.

In the winter we had to heat the water on the wood cook stove in the kitchen. That was where we took our baths too, right in the kitchen next to the cook stove where it was warm.

In the winter, the outhouse was a place you did your business quickly. In the summertime it was a different story. If you had dishes to wash or other chores, you took your time.

You have missed out on a great life experience if you have never used an outhouse or taken your bath in a # 3 washtub. That’s why people call it the “good old days.”

Report News: (662) 252-4261 or
Questions, comments, corrections:
2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.

Web Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter

Back | Top of Page