Thursday, February 17, 2005


City Personals
By Mary Clay Brooks

Chelius Carter entertains guests for weekend; guests also tour several historical homes in Holly Springs

Clay Davis, formerly of Holly Springs, visited his pastor Dr. Milton Winter last Saturday. It was Clay’s first return to his old hometown after finishing the Naval Academy and flight school and serving for several years in the US Navy in the Mediterranean fleet. He and his wife, Lauralee, have three children and hope to adopt a baby from China this summer.

Rowan Thompson of Dallas, Tx., visited with his mother, Claiborne Thompson, and other family members and friends over the weekend.

Christopher and Jenny Cupp and daughter, Emma Grace, of Olive Branch, spent Sunday afternoon with his mother, Becky Cupp.

Bea McCrosky of Jackson, was the weekend visitor of her mother, Caroline McCrosky.

Beverly Fitch of Collierville, Tenn., spent Sunday afternoon with her mother, Becky Cupp.

Chelius Carter entertained an array of guests over the weekend, which included his mother, B’lou Carter of Kerrville, Tenn., his sister, Cecil Owen and daughter, Sara, of Dyersburg, Tenn., his brother, Charley Carter of Collierville, Tenn. and his wife, Petra (formerly of Munich, Germany), daughter Ina and son Christopher, a dear old family friend, Virginia Harvell of Millington, Tenn., and another family friend, Trudy Dawkins (formerly of Vienna, Austria; now of Cayce).

They were graciously hosted by Doris Cochran for a personal tour of her lovely home, Dunvegan, built in 1845; David B. Person (en absentia) for a tour of his lovely home, the McCorkle-Crump House, built in 1837; a luncheon, which was held at Mr. Carter’s home, the Hugh Craft House, built in 1851 and catered by Maia Miller and Dianne Greer...where his company got to meet some of the folks from the “west side of the hollow.” They finished it off with coffee, tea and delicious desserts at Athenia, the lovely home of Dr. Ben F. Martin, where they were met by the folks living on the “east side of the hollow.”

(To put your news in City Personals, please e-mail; mail to City Personals, The South Reporter, P.O. Box 278, Holly Springs, MS 38635 or call 662-252-4261. You may also e-mail your City Personal news to

Miss Audria Bullock and Brian Lester will exchange vows in the South End Zone at University of MS

Brian Ketrel Lester and Audria Jeanae Bullock will exchange wedding vows in the South End Zone reception room of Vault Hemingway Stadium at the University of Mississippi in Oxford at 3 p.m. on Saturday, March 5, 2005.

Brian is the son of Enoch and Linda Lester of Holly Springs. He is a graduate of Holly Springs High School and the University of Mississippi, where he served as middle linebacker for the Ole Miss Rebels.

Audria is the daughter of Frances Terrell Bullock and the late Ricardo Cortez Bullock. She is a graduate of Kirby High School, Southeast Community College in Memphis, Tenn. and is currently attending the University of Mississippi.

Family and friends are invited to attend. A reception will immediately follow at the same location.


Tracy and Shreda Jeffries are the proud parents of a seven pounds, nine ounce baby boy, Tracy Lerome Jeffries, born Feb. 1, 2005 at Methodist Hospital, Germantown, Tenn.

Tracy was welcomed home by his older sister Shretta and older brother, Travian.

Proud grandparents are Jeannette Jeffries and James and Dorothy Oliver.

By Lois Swanee
Museum Curator

A stroll around the north side of the Holly Springs square

When I was in third grade, Miss Sally Cochran gave the class an assignment I’ll never forget. We were to draw a diagram of the Square and write the name of each store.

As well as I remember, Armor’s drugstore was on the corner of College and Market. It had a soda fountain and ice cream station and I loved it! Once, when I was small, Mack Simpson gave me a season ticket of ice cream cones. All I had to do was take the gift certificate up and get ice cream, any flavor! That was impressive. After this, the store was Armor’s then it was Billy Peel’s drug store, then Seale’s drug store and now Tim Liddy is renovating it, getting it ready for something great, again.

Before Armor’s drug store, it belonged to the Gatewoods and their relative, Mr. Howard, from Mt. Pleasant. They sold it to Mr. Grey; he sold it to Mr. Mecklin, who had married Bessie Gatewood.

Next door was Sam Coopwood’s dry goods store for many years. Then he got to be Sheriff and then mayor and so he retired from the merchant business. After Sam, Margaret McAlexander Allsup had a material shop there and now it is a wonderful antique and gift store and a delightful place to have lunch.

Before 1926 the post office was where the Hurdle Land Company is today. Next door, Irving Rose had a general merchandise store there. He was the brother of Adrain. I worked on Saturday for him and was paid $1 an afternoon. I was the tender age of 13 working at my first job. Glenn Fant said he remembered in the teens of the 20th century, electricity had just come to town and it was only a nighttime convenience. None of the stores had electricity, or if they did, it wasn’t used in the daytime. That would really be a dark store using the front windows for light and there was no plumbing either.

I think Mr. Kizer had a meat market next to the corner of North Center and College. Then later my Daddy had a frozen food locker there. Not many people had freezers at home so they would rent a locker in that building. I think people lived upstairs but I can’t remember who.

Across North Center Street was the St. Louis Bargain Store, which was owned and operated by Stanley Barnett. He and his wife were Jewish and they had one very pretty little daughter, Patsy. Once their house caught fire and burned, but they got out. Mrs. Barnett could really play “Kitten on the Keys,” on the piano.

Later on, Hubert Tomlinson and his wife Creed were in the dry goods business here. Next door was Kroger grocery store, where Wilson Jones and Adrain Rose were in business. That building is the newest on the Square. It was an empty lot and in 1926 Mrs. McGowan sold it to Wilson Jones for a grocery store. Then Mr. J.C. Tucker had a dry goods store in the next building. When I was in high school, I worked on Saturdays for him. In one day I could make $3. Remember, these were Depression days. I loved working and I still do. Next door was John Wade’s store. My sister Christine worked for him. I remember the chocolate milk-shakes.

The movie house was behind the drug store and belonged to John Wade too. He was also the city tax assessor. Oh, the movies were so much fun. There were no ratings, no need for it. Movies were geared for family entertainment and no bad words were said. The first time a cuss word was said in the movies was in “Gone With the Wind,” in the last scene when Rhett said, “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.” The year was 1937; the nation was shocked at that terrible word. The movie house had one feature on Monday and Tuesday, then on Wednesday there was another movie, Thursday and Friday was another feature, and finally on Saturday was a double feature. They charged a dime for each movie. There were no Sunday movies until later, but there were matinees every afternoon. Competition was fierce, as there was another movie house in town. I knew all the movie stars. I sent to Hollywood and paid a dime each for a glossy 8x10 photo of my favorite movie stars. I wish I still had those wonderful photos but they’ve been gone with the wind for over half a century now. Then on Dec. 15, 1949, all this came to an end as it caught fire and burned. In the apartment over J.C. Tucker’s store next door, a young couple and their little boy died in this fire. It was caused by a burst gas pipe. It was a tough day in Holly Springs.

When I was growing up, Mr. Shaw had a barbershop next door. Mrs. Shaw has a beauty parlor upstairs. I remember going there and having to sit on a board to get my hair cut. I wore it straight and short with bangs to keep it out of my eyes and shingled up the back. I was right in style with short dresses and socks and when I was real young, I wore button shoes. In order to wear them, a “shoe buttoner” was needed. The Shaws were the parents of Bill Jr. and Halle. I remember Bill started turning gray in high school.

Last on that block was the First State Bank. I think it was owned by Mr. Will Fant, who was quite an entrepreneur. In addition to the bank, he owned the Ford plant, for new cars and repairs, the coal yard and other businesses. He was the father of Wilburth and Robert Fant. He was grandfather to Joe, Billy, Bobby and Jimmy. C.D. Collins was president of the bank for many years and Ed Rather was the vice president. Upstairs was the law office of Gus Smith and in the back was Dr. George Sowell’s dental office.

I’m sure many of you can remember the logistics of these two blocks better than I can. This is the best I can do and “frankly, my dear, ....”

Report News: (662) 252-4261 or
Questions, comments, corrections:
2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.

Web Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter

Back | Top of Page