Thursday, November 10, 2005

Hawks dominate rival Indians
• Brown’s Holly High team enters 3A playoffs this week at Corinth

Sports Editor

Clifford Brown, head coach of the Holly High Hawks, followed in the footsteps of both his predecessors.

Like Bill Rosenthal and Benjie Ewing, Brown will be leading the Hawks into a first round playoff game this Friday night. They will travel to Corinth.

Holly High tried to mix things up early in the regular season finale last Friday. On the kickoff to Byhalia, the visiting Hawks tried an onside kick which was correctly read by Sebastian Anders who covered the ball.

The third play of the game, junior tailback Jeraldo Lesueur met a hard-hitting line and was lost for the remainder of the game.

The Hawks got the ball and great field position. Marcus Isom, signal caller, called on Loren Coleman three times in sucession. The senior running back netted a first down, a first and goal and a touchdown. The extra point try failed.

Marquis Green returned the kickoff to the 35 and Kelvin Chew broke through for a first down. But a Hawk defense which would be more than formidable all evening would force a punt.

The attempt was blocked and Marvin Lucas picked it up and dove into the end zone. Earick Carter made it 14-0 with a catch in the right corner for two.

The defense was still giving the Indians fits. Jonathan Jones stepped in for an interception and was halted at the 28. Marcell Johnson carried to the 11. From there, Isom evaded tacklers and leapt into the end zone. Isom also tried the extra point but it failed. The score was 20-0.

Chew did another fine return of 25 yards, but the Indians had to punt on a fourth and 12. Jeremy Boyd made it all the way to the end zone but had the play nullified by a holding call.

Johnson split the center for his second carry and was stopped at the 6. Johnson came back and swept the right end for the touchdown. The Hawks drew a flag and converted for deuce with Jones carrying it in.

The Hawks picked up another quick two points later on a safety.

Isom tacked on another six with 39 seconds left in the half. It was 36-0 at the break.

The Hawks continued to scorch the Indian secondary. Jones scored on a left to right to make it 42-0. Chew blocked the extra point try.

The Hawks then started to mix plays and burn the clock near the end of the third. They caught the Indian defense napping and Isom threw a swing pass to Courtney Bowen who scored. Jeremy Boyd came on and converted for a pair.

After that the play stayed pretty much on the ground for both teams. The ball didn’t move too far from the center line in either direction.

The clock ran out with the score 50-0.

Byhalia’s coach Gaylon Jones identified Cadaryl Burford as his player of the game.

On the victor’s side, Courtney Rayford was tapped for that honor by Coach Brown.

The Hawks (5-5) advance to the first round of the Class 3A state playoffs this Friday night at Corinth (6-4). Holly High was ousted in round one the previous two seasons.

Last week’s win over Byhalia was Holly High’s fourth straight.

“We wanted to go in (to the playoffs) on a positive note with wins and we’ve done that,” Brown said. “The kids are peaking at the right time.”

He said Corinth is a successful program with a winning tradition.

“They started slow like us, but they’re playing well now,” Brown said. “It’s a hard place to go and get a win. In the playoffs, you have to win in hostile environments and beat good teams.

“We need to put it all together Friday night.”

Report News: (662) 252-4261 or
Questions, comments, corrections:
2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.

Web Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter

Back | Top of Page