Thursday, September 29, 2005

Late night fire destroys Potts Camp business

By SUE WATSON
Staff Writer

The Potts Camp Volunteer Fire Department put out a fire at Bates Quick Stop in Potts Camp late Sunday but the business was destroyed, according to Marshall County fire investigator Jevon Atkins.

He said the fire was caused by wind damage to the roof during weekend weather. Owner Raymond Bates said he had the roof patched as best as possible but the ceiling had collapsed over a walk-in cooler. Atkins said the fire likely started from wiring in the ceiling.

Mayor Jimmie Collins reported the blaze to the fire department after receiving a call from a passerby, according to Tracy Pruitt with the fire department.

The call came in Sunday evening at 10:30 p.m. and firefighters were on the scene at about 10:38 p.m. and found smoke showing under the eaves of the roof and flames on the roof’s west side.

Engines 1, 2, and 3 and an older engine responded to the call as well as a Holly Springs Fire Department pumper truck.

Pruitt said firefighters returned to the fire house at 12:21 a.m. and were called back at 2:30 a.m. Monday morning after flames rekindled.

The convenience store sustained extensive damage to the back side in the ceiling and walls, she said. Merchandise was smoke and water damaged. Fire was contained to the wall and ceiling, Pruitt said.

“It is the first business to burn and get extreme damage in a while,” Pruitt said.


Report News: (662) 252-4261 or south@dixie-net.com
Questions, comments, corrections:
south@dixie-net.com
2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.

Web Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter

Back | Top of Page