Thursday, September 29, 2005

Indians fall short at Marks

Sports Editor

In a game Friday night the Indians had chances to win, they came up short.

The contest between Byhalia and M.S. Palmer High School in Marks pitted two winless teams against each other. Byhalia’s record was 0-2 and M.S. Palmer’s 0-3 for the season. Actually the Dragons had not won a game in three years.

The Dragons were first over the ball, and they started at their 35-yard line. Calling signals for the Dragons was Jarques Crawford. His first call was a handoff to Derrick King, who fumbled. The ball was quickly recovered by Byhalia with excellent field position at the 37.

Montrell Hardaway was the quarterback for the Indians. A draw play went to Kelvin Chew, who almost collected a first down. Bubba thomas was met by a trio of Dragons out of the backfield and lost two yards. The Indians had to send the ball over on downs.

The ball changed hands three times in the next four minutes. The Dragons incurred some heavy penalties and the Indians fumbled. Although Byhalia was able to get good field position, they couldn’t take advantage and the first quarter ended 0-0.

The Dragons started the second quarter with the ball, but the Byhalia defense proved to be more than enough. The Dragons punted to a waiting and re-energized Indian team. Byhalia attempted two running plays, then Hardaway hit Adrian Mims in the right flat with a long bomb. The receiver passed three Dragons on the way to the end zone. Chew burst straight up the middle for the two-point conversion. The Indians led 8-0.

The Indians were making serious errors when they had possession and when they were on defense they continuously let the Dragon quarterback out of the box for long gains. The Indians gave up valuable ground to the Dragons via penalties and Palmer took advantage.

Crawford made it second and goal from the 2-yard line. Natarz Furr took it in from there. They tried to use the same route for the two-point conversion and failed. The Indians still had the lead, 8-6 at halftime.

The Indians played it conservatively in the third quarter. They suffered penalties which kept them in their own backyard.

Neither team scored in the third and the fourth opened with the Indians operating from their own 5. After expending all their downs, they got off a good kick.

The Dragons ran a pair of unsuccessful plays before Crawford broke out of the box again and scored. They failed on the extra point try.

With the Dragons now in the lead and the clock steadily ticking, the Indians became desperate. They converted for a first, Hardaway to Cordell Jefferson, and neared midfield.

Hardaway used a fake delay and his tight end who cross the 50. With short screens and stacks to the right side, they were trying to beat the clock downfield.

With :34 showing on the game clock, the Indians sent in both quarterbacks, Hardaway and Thomas. Hardaway took the snap and passed it to Thomas, who hit Warren Taylor with a long toss. He got out of bounds and stopped the clock with two seconds left.

Time ran out for the Indians. It was their first district game of the year. They went to 0-3 overall, as the entire home side of the bleachers cleared as the Dragon celebrated their first win in three season.

In a game which saw almost flawless officiating, the final score was 12-8.

Coach Gaylon Jones namded Chew the most valuable player for the game.

Byhalia hosts Independence Friday night in another district matchup. Independence is 3-1 after a 14-13 loss to Bruce last week.

Report News: (662) 252-4261 or
Questions, comments, corrections:
2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.

Web Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter

Back | Top of Page