Thursday, September 15, 2005

Carey Chapel & Mt. Pleasant News
Allene Teel

Gardners visit family in Columbia, TN over weekend

Glynn Gaines, son of Denise Boyd and grandson of Richard and Dot Langston, is home from Iraq for two weeks.

Love and sympathy are expressed to the Poff family in the loss of their daughter in a car accident. She is the step-daughter of Paula Teel-Poff.

James Walker and Stephanie Mullins exchanged wedding vows at the First Baptist Church, Mt. Pleasant on Saturday, September 10. A reception followed in the church fellowship hall.

Charles Hill is home from the V.A. Hospital after surgery. A get well wish is sent to him.

Howard and Carol Gardner visited Cheryl Green and sons in Columbia, Tenn. over the Labor Day weekend.

I accompanied my daughter and son-in-law, Kathy and Arnold Goode, to Dallas, Texas over the Labor Day holiday. My great-grandson Abram Goode also traveled with us. On Friday night we spent the night with Arnold’s brother and sister-in-law, Tommy and Elaine Goode. The Goodes are church planters in downtown Dallas and live in a high-rise apartment, on the 10th floor, overlooking downtown Dallas. The lights at night are beautiful. It was the first time in my life to sleep so high up off the ground. It was a little frightening. Their assignment, with the Baptist General Convention of Texas, is to start a church for the residents of the high-rise apartment building. Over 1000 people live in the building. Their first worship service is scheduled for Sept. 11. Tommy and Elaine grew up in the Potts Camp community.

On Saturday we traveled to Fort Worth, Texas to visit Arnold’s sister and brother-in-law, Linda and Lloyd Breedlove. They gave us a tour of downtown Fort Worth and the beautiful Botanical Gardens of Fort Worth. On Sunday, we worshiped with them at Travis Ave. Baptist Church. The church was putting together a team of volunteers to travel to Hattiesburg to cut fallen trees and clean up debris. Mississippi is blessed to have so many people to help us during this terrible disaster. Linda, a paralegal, grew up in Potts Camp and Lloyd, retired and currently working on his second book, grew up in Ashland.

After lunch with the Breedloves, we said good-by and traveled about an hour south to Waxahachie, Texas to visit Campbell’s nephew and family, Neon and Marlene Langston. We enjoyed a great time with them touring their small ranch. Marlene loves animals and has quite a menagerie of critters. From their home we traveled, with them, to their son Greg’s home and visited with their family.

After leaving the Langstons, we headed north of Dallas to Carrollton, where we spent the night with my niece and her husband, Mary Lou and Bob Barry. After a wonderful dinner we stayed up late talking.

Mary Lou grew up in the Carey Chapel community and Bob grew up in Slayden. Kathy, Mary Lou and Bob graduated together from Slayden High School in 1967.

On Monday we headed back to Tommy’s and Elaine’s for another short visit and then headed back home to Mississippi . 

My 10th Day of Vacation

It was the 4th of July. Bill and Laura had made plans for us to attend a small town parade near Salinas. The small town of Spacles, a farming community, is surrounded by huge fields of cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, strawberries and artichokes. One family runs this huge farming operation and are very community minded. Every family received a box of fresh vegetables to take home with them.

We are very close to the ocean and the breeze is cool, but the sun is intense. There were many young families in the park along with several of Bill’s and Laura’s friends. We set our quilts and picnic lunch next to one of their friends. There were a lot of vendors and we browsed around and bought a few things to take home to Mississippi. We found a little lost toddler and made sure he found his mommy.

When the parade started we all stood on the street curb and enjoyed small children passing in their wagons and on their trikes. They were all decked out in red, white and blue. There were many pets, dressed in red, white and blue, in the parade. There were also groups of Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and 4-H Clubs followed by many classic cars. There were several old fire trucks including one from the 1920s, ’40s and ’50s. There were several men and women on horseback. Everyone in the parade threw candy to the children in the crowd. Drake and Corinne had fun running to pick up the candy. After the parade we headed back into the park and enjoyed our picnic lunch.

We left the park about 2:30 p.m. and headed back to Laura’s where we had a relaxing afternoon and evening visiting before we started our return trip, the next morning, to Mississippi. Laura taught us how to make our own greeting cards. I have really enjoyed this craft since returning home.

It was hard to sleep that night because of popping firecrackers; I thought for sure I was back in Mississippi.

I will tell you about day 11 next week.

Report News: (662) 252-4261 or
Questions, comments, corrections:
2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.

Web Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter

Back | Top of Page