Thursday, August 25, 2005

Carey Chapel & Mt. Pleasant News
Allene Teel

Team Kids registration set for Saturday at First Baptist Church

Team Kids registration will be Saturday, August 27, from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. at First Baptist Church, Mt. Pleasant. Parents are also invited. There will be hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, drinks and games.

The youth group of Carey Chapel Baptist Church enjoyed a rafting trip to the Spring River in Hardy, Ark., on Saturday. They were accompanied by youth director David Goode and his wife Alisa.

Eugene Edwards is a patient at St. Francis Hospital. His wife, Peggy, had the misfortune of falling and breaking her shoulder. A get well wish is sent to them.

Bobby and Martha Fant came to visit me last Saturday, August 13. It was Campbell’s birthday and we visited the cemetery where Martha placed a bouquet of red, white and blue flowers.

Nadine Thompson is a patient at Baptist Collierville Hospital. A get well wish is sent to her.

Betty Guffey and I visited the Collierville Nursing Home Thursday to visit her mother. I visited with my cousin Sue Mitchell. They are roommates.

Patricia Teel and her sister Karen McClure, visited their Aunt Ruby, in Lexington, Tenn., over the weekend.

My daughter, Kathy Goode, carried me back to Rayner’s Eye Clinic for a checkup on Friday. I received a pretty good report. I return in four months.

Several from the community attended a baby shower for Leah Green at Flat Rock Baptist Church, near Hickory Flat, on Sunday. Leah is my granddaughter.

I appreciate the pastor, Rev. Kevin Yearber, from the United Methodist Church of Mt. Pleasant, and Herbert Staggs coming to visit me on Saturday. They brought cookies and had prayer with me. It really lifted my spirits.

My sixth day of vacation
After a good night’s rest, at the Sierra Lodge in Mammoth Lakes, Calif. eating breakfast and filling the car with gas, we headed northwest towards Yosemite National Park. Mammoth Lakes is a very nice tourist town with snow skiing in the winter.

Along the highway, in the Mono Basin, are tall pines and fields of beautiful wildflowers. Off in the distance we can see the snow capped Sierra Nevada Mountains. What a beautiful site.

As we began to climb, the mountain road was very curvy and narrow at points. It was frightening to look over the edge of the mountain road and see just how high up we were. At this point we were 8,000 feet high. There were many places along the mountain highway to pull over and look out over the mountains. Each stop we made was more breathtaking than the last one. There were spots of snow that were still covering parts of the mountains. At one point we stopped and Kathy took a picture of Drake and I in the snow. It was June 30. 

After about an hour we entered the gate at the Yosemite National Park. Because I am a senior citizen I was able to get a pass for $10. All three of us could use the pass to enter the park. The good thing is that I can use this pass at any national park for the rest of my life. It was the best deal of the vacation.   

Further down the highway we stopped beside a mountain stream to put our hands in the cold water. There were spots of snow here also, but the sun was bright and the temperature in the low 80s. I picked up a couple of pretty rocks along the stream for my collection. At this point we were 9,000 feet high. Along the highway we could see beautiful mountain lakes and water running down the mountain sides from the melting snow. We saw two men putting on their climbing gear and preparing to climb up the side of one of the mountains. There were also many people camping and hiking in the area. We didn’t stay around long enough to see the men climb because we wanted to get to Salinas before dark. 

Fire was evident in the mountain area along the highway and down in the valleys. I could see why firemen have a hard time putting out the mountain fires. After many more curves and beautiful valleys we arrived at Bridalveil Waterfall. It is a very popular place to visit and we had a hard time finding a parking place close to the area. After circling through the parking lot a couple of time we got lucky and were able to park.  From a distance the waterfall was breathtaking. The wind swirls about the cliff lifting the falling water and blowing it side to side. It was like being in a light rain shower. The temperature was in the 70s and it was cool near the waterfall. Many people were returning wet. Some knew to bring their umbrella or rain gear to walk near the fall. We decided we would not walk really close to the waterfall because we did not want to get wet. Kathy and Drake took pictures. We walked along a trail and I picked up a few rocks for my collection. We could see the big waterfall really well from this point. As we left the falls and headed towards the exit we saw many more smaller waterfalls. Our greatest disappointment was that we saw no wildlife. 

Throughout Yosemite many vacationers were enjoying the sites and the activities. Along one stretch of the highway ran the Merced River. There were lots of people rafting. There was also a sunbather. We told Drake to close his eyes.

Just outside Yosemite we stopped at a town named Curnerville to eat a late lunch and get a map. We were still in a mountain range. There were a lot of camping trailers and cabins on the sides of the mountain. I don’t believe I would be happy living here. Give me Mississippi. At this point we are about three hours from our destination, my granddaughter’s home.

After leaving the mountain range we went through flat land. There were acres and acres of nut and fruit trees. We stopped to get gas just before we entered Interstate 5 south. There was a nut factory across the street. The temperature was in the high 90s. After a short distance on the interstate we headed west again. The driving at this point was a little tricky and the traffic was heavy. Kathy took a wrong turn, but after a phone call to Laura we were going in the right direction again.

Just before arriving in Salinas we traveled through the town of Gilroy, the garlic capital of the world. The smell of garlic was very strong. There were acres and acres of farmland. We could see farm workers harvesting cabbage, broccoli, strawberries and much more.

At about 5:30 p.m. we pulled into the drive at my granddaughter’s house. My great-granddaughter Corinne, along with her father Bill, were waiting on the street corner waving at us. It was so good to be there. Since leaving Mississippi we had traveled 2,533 miles and through eight states. Corinne was jumping up and down. Her first words as we got out of the car was “Let’s get this party started.”

Next week I will tell you about my seventh day of vacation.

Report News: (662) 252-4261 or
Questions, comments, corrections:
2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.

Web Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter

Back | Top of Page