Thursday, May 26, 2005


City Personals
Mary Clay Brooks

Carey and Sarah Crain enjoy relaxing in Destin

Gay and Jack Stubbs just returned from Europe where they escorted a group on a two week tour of the best of Austria and Switzerland. They travelled from Vienna to Zurich, visiting Salzburg, Innsbrook, St. Moritz, Zermatt, Lausanne and Lucerne. Prior to the tour, Gay and Jack backpacked through Croatia and Slovenia spending a lot of time in Dubrovnik, a beautiful walled and fortified city that survived the bombings from the early 1990s.

Christopher Cupp and daughter, Emma Grace, of Olive Branch, and Beverly Fitch and daughter, Shelby, of Collierville, Tenn., joined Becky Cupp Sunday for church and lunch.

Robin Seale recently returned from Pensacola, Fla., where she was helping her daughter, Hamilton, settle in, as she has accepted an employment opportunity there. Andy Seale has moved to Nashville, Tenn., where Robin also travelled to help him along. Congratulations and good luck to both Andy and Hamilton on their future ventures — it’s so bright, you’ll need to wear shades!

Carey and Sarah Crain went to Destin, Fla., on Sunday. They are spending a few days at the beach to celebrate Sarah’s successful end to her first year in dental school at the University of Mississippi in Jackson.

Jessica Taylor will leave June 2 and spend several weeks in Louisiana with her cousin, Paige Taylor. Paige is the daughter of Randy Taylor of Cornersville and the granddaughter of Eleanor Crawford.

(To put your news in City Personals, please e-mail; mail to City Personals, The South Reporter, P.O. Box 278, Holly Springs, MS 38635 or call 662-252-4261.

You may also e-mail your City Personal news to

Miss Amy Burch to wed Bobby McQueen June 4

Mr. and Mrs. Ronald Bolden of Holly Springs and Mr. and Mrs. Michael Lynn Burch of Somerville, Tenn., announce the engagement of Amy Elizabeth Burch to Bobby Jo McQueen of Holly Springs.

Grandparents of the bride are Mrs. Joyce Smith of Waterford, the late Harry Graham of Olive Branch, Mr. and Mrs. Max Burch of Somerville, Tenn., and Mr. and Mrs. Jack Bolden of Holly Springs. She is a 2001 graduate of Marshall Academy and a May 2005 graduate of the University of Mississippi.

Parents of the groom are Mr. and Mrs. Robert M. McQueen of Red Banks and Ms. Bonnie Walker of Holly Springs. Grandparents of the groom are the late Clifton and Mattie McQueen of Red Banks, Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Bolden of Byhalia and the late Johnny Walker of Collierville, Tenn. He attended Horn Lake High School. He is employed with Tri-State Ready Mix in Olive Branch.

They will be married June 4 at 4 p.m. at First Baptist Church in Somerville, Tenn. Family and friends are cordially invited.

A reception will follow in the church fellowship hall.

After a honeymoon in Cancun, Mexico, the couple will make their home in Holly Springs.

Miss Meagan Moorman and Anthony Stanton to wed June 4 at Myrtle Methodist Church

Kimmy and Mary Jane Dobbs of Myrtle; Ricky and Stephanie Moorman of Etta announce the engagement and forthcoming marriage of Meagan Denise Moorman of Myrtle to Anthony (Andy) Dewayne Stanton of Potts Camp.

Grandparents of the bride are Bill and Jane Myers of Myrtle; Catherine Moorman of New Albany. She is a 1999 graduate of Myrtle High School. She attended NECC. She received her B.S. in elementary education in 2003 from Blue Mountain College. She was the homecoming maid, a member of Kappa, Kappa, Iota; MAESP; Eunomian Society. She is employed at Galena School.

Andy Stanton is the son of Danny and Gale Stanton of Potts Camp; the grandson of Etoyle and the late John Ike Ash Jr. of Potts Camp; Verla Mae and Frank Stanton of Hickory Flat. He is a 1995 graduate of Potts Camp High School and attended Northwest Community College. He is co-owner of Olive Branch Carpet and Flooring.

Meagan and Andy will be married at 5 p.m. on Saturday, June 4 at Myrtle Methodist Church. Family and friends are cordially invited.

Williamson-Moorehead married March 19

Krista LaShon Moorehead of Hickory Flat and Craig Scott Williamson of Kodiak, Alaska, were married on Saturday, March 19, 2005 at 3 p.m. at Bethlehem United Methodist Church in New Albany.

The bride is the daughter of Henry and LaDonna Moorehead of Hickory Flat. She is the granddaughter of the Rev. James and Carolyn Lawson of Fulton, Ky., and the late Rev. Clay and Erline Moorehead of Hickory Flat.

The groom is the son of the late Dennis (Willy) Williamson and Darlene Williamson of Kodiak, Alaska. He is the grandson of Roland and Adele Crawford of Yorba Linda, Calif.; and Frank Williamson of Bloomington, Ill. and Nadeline Speckman of New Boston, N.H.

They were joined in marriage by the Rev. Jeff Lawrence and Krista’s grandfather, the Rev. James Lawson.

The bride wore a beautiful white halter gown with hand beading over the bodice and around the bottom of the flowing skirt and sweep train. She wore a finger-tip length veil attached to a beautiful crystal and pearl tiara.

Krista carried a bouquet of white roses, daisies and purple tulips. It was designed in a bouquet holder by Dena Roberson of New Albany Floral and Gifts.

Her bridesmaids were Jill Messer Burgett of Henderson, Ky. and Amber Englund of Tupelo. They wore floor-length lavender dresses with crystal accents. They carried white roses and purple tulips with lavender ribbons.

The groom’s best man was his brother, Tim Williamson of Seattle, Wash. Steve Englund of Tupelo was his groomsman. The ushers were Josh Moorehead, the bride’s brother, and Eric Williams of Tupelo.

Vocalists were Dana Jumper and Ben Coleman of New Albany. Lou Ann Staggs of New Albany was the pianist.

A reception followed immediately in the Bethlehem Harrington Family Life Center at the Bethlehem United Methodist Church. After a brief trip the couple now lives in Tupelo. A seven-day cruise to Jamaica and the Grand Cayman Islands is planned for August.

The bride is a fashion merchandiser for J.C. Penney’s in Tupelo. The groom is employed at the Wal-Mart Distribution Center in New Albany.

Lois Swanee
Museum Curator

My daddy’s farm

When I was growing up, one of the delights of my life was to go to my daddy’s farm. My daddy was Con Bonds. He was a wonderful father and my best friend. Actually, today the farm is in the city limits of the old, old Highway 178 West. It is located one mile due west of “Danger Curve” across the street from the modern day Holly Springs Country Club. I don’t know how many acres it consisted of. When my dad bought it in the early thirties, a real Chickasaw woman was living on the property. She was the last of the Chickasaws here. She was tall, dark and had snow-white hair, was stoic and very impressive, as I had never seen an Indian before. I looked up the deed to the property and to my surprise, she didn’t own it, she was just living there. My daddy bought it from Dr. Ira Seale, after whom all the Iras in town were named.

On the farm, Daddy raised cotton, had a sorghum patch, which we enjoyed immensely and raised the best watermelons you ever did taste. Daddy had a truck farm, and the farm manager lived there in a house that sits where the Winter-Woods house sits today. We lived in town on College Avenue. Daddy had an orchard complete with apple trees, peach trees, cherry trees, pear and plum trees. It was like heaven in harvest time. There were many wild blackberry clumps on the farm but to get to them one had to brace the snake danger, the thorns, and the chigger threat. I loved the blackberries, so he ordered cultivated blackberries, which were grown in rows not too far from the front of the yard of the farmhouse and were twice as big as the wild ones. They had no thorns either.

The barn was not too far in back of the house; it was a great barn with a hayloft. My daddy had a few workhorses and a few cows. I think he even tried the dairy business, but it didn’t last long. He had chickens and tried guinea hens and banty chickens. One brand of chickens were the Rhode Island Reds, and another was the Domineckers, which were black and white. My mother loved the chickens. The pigpen was located down the hill. I remember one year, he had an abundance of watermelons and we went to the patch where the trucks were filled with watermelons. We brought them to the pigpen and after breaking the watermelons we ate the heart out of it and chunked the rest to the pigs, who gobbled them up. They liked the watermelons as well as I did.

Daddy bought a new saddle of which he was very proud. One day it disappeared. It disturbed Daddy very much. He heard about a psychic in Tupelo, who could tell him where it was, so he went down to see her. She gazed into a crystal ball and said, “Your saddle is hanging in the back of a shed on a hill overlooking your farm.” Actually, the man living on the hill was working for my dad. Daddy went there; the man wasn’t home, so he went into the shed overlooking his farm and there hung the new saddle, just like the psychic said. He brought it home with him.

I remember being at the farm when they made molasses. Also, I made the mistake of being there once when Daddy butchered a cow. That’s not the stuff little girls watch. That was grisly.

One black family lived on the farm. The father was named Tom. (I can’t remember his whole name.) His daughter, Dorothy, was my age and my friend. I had a black doll and the doll looked exactly like Dorothy so I gave it to Dorothy. Now Dorothy lives in New Jersey and has for over a half century.

On the road, 178 was old, old 78 and it was gravel until 1937. The only houses I remember were the Canon house, which was antebellum and was really nice at the corner of Boundary and old, Old Highway 78. The Canon boys were all musicians and so was their father, Remember when further down the road, Peel Canon had a nightspot called “The Dipsy Doodle” where everybody went to dance? If they played instruments they carried those and joined in the music making. On further down was the house beside the road where the Woodwards lived. Their Woodward ancestor went to the California Gold Rush in 1849 with one of the Govan boys from here. However, evidently their deal didn’t pan out and they didn’t come home with lots of gold. There was a huge antebellum house at the end of what is now Bonds Drive. The house was there until about 1960.

Report News: (662) 252-4261 or
Questions, comments, corrections:
2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.

Web Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter

Back | Top of Page