Thursday, December 22, 2005

Carey Chapel & Mt. Pleasant News
Allene Teel

First Baptist hosts candlelight service

Due to the illness of the pastor, Dr. Jimmy Sparks, Dr. Rob Finnely, of Prayer Response, preached the morning message at FBC, Mt. Pleasant on Dec. 11.

A candlelight service will be held at 5 p.m. on Christmas Eve, at the FBC, Mt. Pleasant. There will be regular services on Sunday morning, but no service on Sunday night.

The youth and children at FBC, Mt. Pleasant, will present their Christmas program on Sunday, Dec. 18, at 5 pm.

The Mt. Pleasant United Methodist Church choir came and sang Christmas Carols to me recently. I really appreciate them thinking of me in such a nice way. It made my day.

Billy McClure is home improving after back surgery. A get well wish is sent to him.

Patricia Teel took me to Rayner Eye Clinic, in Oxford, on Monday for my check-up. I did not receive a good report. The pressure in my right eye is high and I must continue drops daily.

Mt. Moriah Baptist Church, in Laws Hill, celebrated Christmas with an old-fashioned Christmas service, at the old Laws Hill Church, on Dec. 17. Jerry Abbott, of Mt. Pleasant, presented the Christmas music. He was accompanied on the piano by Bonnie Keith. Arnold Goode is pastor. Several from the community attended.

May each of you have a very Merry Christmas. By next Christmas we may not have the freedom to say Merry Christmas. If Christ is taken out of Christmas then we will have nothing to celebrate. Let’s pray it never comes to that.

I Remember

It was a week before Christmas. The Christmas tree was up and looked so beautiful with its strings of popcorn, sweet gum balls wrapped in foil from chewing gum, and snow flakes cut from white paper. There were no strings of lights, because when I was a girl there was no electricity.

We all were excited waiting for Santa Claus. So, we decided to play Santa. We found shoe boxes and put them under the tree. Each of us would take turns being Santa. When we pretended to be asleep, objects from the house were put in our boxes. We were having a wonderful time when all at once the door came open and candy went flying all around the room. Being the nosey one I wanted to see Santa. I jumped up from the bed and ran out the door. I just knew I would see the jolly old elf, but he was too quick for me. Mama and Daddy were in the yard and they wanted to know what was wrong. I told them what had happened as I ran back into the house to grab some of the candy. I was too late. All of the candy had been eaten. That made me very unhappy and playing Santa Claus was over for the day.

On Christmas morning there was candy in my box, just like the candy Santa had thrown in the door.

I knew for sure then that there was a real Santa Claus.

Report News: (662) 252-4261 or
Questions, comments, corrections:
2004, The South Reporter, All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced in any way without permission.
The South Reporter is a member of the Mississippi Press Association.

Web Site managed and maintained by
South Reporter webmasters Linda Jones, Kristian Jones
Web Site Design - The South Reporter

Back | Top of Page